Friday, September 10, 2010

Summer At Tiffany




"So there we were, baking in the sun, waiting endlessly for lonely midshipmen to stop by. We didn't see a single one. Should have known. Guys don't hang around libraries on the weekend."

--Marjorie Hart, Summer at Tiffany



I saw this book laying on the kitchen table last week while my sister was visiting, and I spontaneously picked it up and started reading it. Not really planning on reading it, just maybe the first page. But then the first page turned into the first chapter, and the first chapter turned into the second chapter and I couldn't put it down. I half jokingly asked my sister if she would leave it for me to read and to my surprise, after she had left to go home, I saw it sitting on the dining room table. I quickly texted her asking if she had meant to leave it. She just responded, "you have 3 days to read it" (that was when my parents were leaving to visit her and she was expecting the book to be coming too) That was on Sunday, and needless to say, I just finished it (Wednesday).

It's a memoir of a woman's best summer ever. The summer of 1945 when two college-aged friends moved from Iowa to New York City and got jobs at Tiffany's. It's everything you could ask for (or at least I could ask for)in a book: 1940's, World War II, Tiffany's, gallivanting around the city with a handsome young Navy officer. And it was all true, that's the kicker. You get to read about their summer job at Tiffany's, with customers such as Judy Garland and Marlene Dietrich among others, seeing the Queen Mary sail into the New York harbor, and being in the midst of Time Square on VJ Day. It's a life experience we all wish we could say was ours. Personally, I could sit and listen to people from that era tell stories for hours.

I've never done a book review on this blog, aside from some random quotes I post, but I just felt like recommending this book to you. Aside from the fact that my sister was nice enough to let me borrow it, and that it felt good to be reading a book again and not be on the computer for once, but because it just made me happy and I wanted to pass it along to you. If you read it, let me know what you think!

6 comments :

  1. Putting at hold on the library already. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book! I got it as a pre-release and it was just the cutest thing in the world! Plus, you're right. It's about a million times better because it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute book, I got it as a gift a few years ago and I think I read it in one sitting. So cute... definitely an era I wish I could have experienced (even just for a day!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. I've been looking for a new book and I think this will be the one I read next!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book totally sounds like my cup of tea-- thank you for the recommendation! I'm always looking for a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recommendation; its nice to read about people living their own adventure, it's amazingly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...