Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Prom

I'm not sure how many of you, if any, are still in high school but I couldn't help but notice it was that time of the year again: PROM. And even if none of you are in high school, it's still fun to talk and reminisce about, right?

I was shopping with my bestie the other day and we were passing the "prom section" of a department store, and I said something like, "aw, I want to get dressed up and go to prom again" and I started thinking of what I would have done differently if I were given the chance to go to another prom and I came to the conclusion that, I wouldn't have done anything different. My prom dresses both came about in kind of funny ways, but they were so me and were so perfect. Let me tell you about them on a trip down high school memory lane.


Photobucket
Photobucket


I have never really been the type of girl to go straight to the mall or department store to find a dress for any occasion and prom was no different. So I hadn't even starting looking for dresses when this dress came into my life. One day my mom just casually mentioned, "oh yeah, by the way, I found this adorable vintage dress on ebay that I thought you might like for prom, so I bought it" haha. I was like really? sweet. When the dress arrived, I loved it. The polka dots, the sweetheart neckline, the tiered ruffles... and when I tried it on, it fit me perfectly. It was fate. My mom and I went to JoAnns and bought some bright red ribbon to tie around my waist, some red and black crinoline to make a petticoat for extra volume, I bought some vintage red heels with polka dot bow clips from ebay and I had myself a prom outfit. I did my own hair and makeup, so the total cost of everything was probably like $65, if that. It was so wonderfully stress-free. I could have lived in that dress, I never wanted to take it off. But I had to, because, well... there was senior prom!


PhotobucketPhotobucket

Senior year I did go out and look for a dress. but my luck was horrible. I went to numerous vintage stores and scoured ebay for the perfect dress. I had no idea what I wanted, but I knew I hadn't found it. My dress didn't just fall into my lap so easily like the year before. While we were out I found thee perfect pair of Steve Madden leopard print heels-- on sale! They had this little glittery decal on the toe and looked so 40's, I had to have them. They were a size too small, but that was just a small detail, I would shove my foot into it if I had to (and I did), who needs to feel like Cinderella, anyway? So I decided that I had to make a dress around these shoes. And then I realized that the only way I could get what I wanted, was to make it myself, or er... have my mom make it for me (she made the majority of the dresses or skirts I wore to dances throughout high school-- they deserve a post all their own). So I picked out this great 1960's vintage dress pattern, a pattern for a cape and some coral and leopard material and the rest is history. My mom made me this beautiful vintage-inspired slim-fitting dress, a leopard cape with a matching leopard and lace slip that peeked out underneath my dress and I felt like a million bucks (oh and did I mention she even made my date's leopard tie?). and I knew not a single person would have my same dress on.
Thankfully, I was going to cosmetology school at the time, so one of my cosmo friends did my hair and nails for me at school and my sister did my makeup. So I didn't pay for anything except the shoes and some material.

So now you can see that even looking back, I can't think of a single thing to change about my prom looks. I was probably more of a risk-taker in terms of clothes when I was in high school than I am now, if you can believe that. So big poofy polka dot and salmon-colored dresses with leopard capes and bright platinum blonde hair was just so me.

I thought it'd be fun to make some prom sets on polyvore. One of a recreation of one of my looks, and one that's a more grown-up red carpet, if you will, look based on the same outfit.

prom-- then




prom-- now



I'd love to hear (or even see!) your prom outfits. Do you love what you wore? Do you regret what you wore? Would you do anything differently?

10 comments :

  1. Awesome find, Mom! I went to prom my senior year. I wore a floor-length gunmetal dress with this gorgeous beading on the outer layer. I recently tried it on and it still fits which pretty much made my LIFE. Haha

    unravelledthreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwwwww... both of those looks are simply amazing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! It looks like you have always had style, I love both the looks. my sophomore year i went with my best friend and i wore this vintage floral dress I bought for $15, i loved it...i'll have to see if i can find the pics!
    and what an awesome (and talented!) mom you have for making your whole look and your dates tie! that's so great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that polka dot dress was amazing!!!

    i am totally embarassed about what i wore to prom, just the typical floor length bridesmaid dress esque dresses. blargh. you looked so cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww you looked so darling both times! That polka dot dress is just lovely! Cute photos! I wouldn't dare show my crazy prom dresses. Eeep! They were bad! Hahah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prom for me is in less than two months. Most of my friends have their dresses already! But I, like you, am not really for department store dresses. I really want something classy looking, and my number one want is long evening gloves! Your post was very inspiring, and I love your dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh god if I only knew where my prom pictures were hiding! You look so pretty in both looks, but I have to say the first dress is my favorite! Now I want to scour my mom's basement to find my photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both looks are great, but I can't get over how much I LOVE the JR year dress! Its perfection!
    I really wish I had been willing to take more chances at that age and think you should definatly keep up the great style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there lovely, I just received a blogger Sunshine award and have passed it on to you!
    Check it <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wore a Jackie O inspired dress my sophomore year..only to find someone else in it! After that I designed my own and was lucky enough to have one amazing mom make my dresses (just like you)! Aren't you glad your mom is so cool and talented? I always felt lucky and amazing in one of kind dresses thanks so my cute mom!
    Love this post...I am so inspired to go dig up some pics and post mine!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...