Monday, January 25, 2010

I Survived the Big Bear Blizzard of 2010!


snow

blizzard

big bear

big bear

snowed in

cabin windows

icicles

snow path

gazeebo

snow road

cabin

dad and luke starting a fire

big bear

fireplace

treetops

mountaintops

big bear

snow

trees

mom and me

snow top car
(look at how much snow is at the top of that car! I could not stop laughing anytime I saw a car carrying it's weight in snow on it's roof)


I have returned from my weekend in the mountains. Oh my goodness. I think it made up for all 22 years of never seeing snow. We happened to go the same weekend there was a huge storm in Southern California and the mountains were getting non-stop snow. We got to the cabin Thursday night and were snowed in until Saturday afternoon. We took a quick half hour drive to the store so we would be able to live on more than just soup and crackers for the remainder of our stay. I must say, it was an awesome experience. For someone who's never been to the snow, and to have it snow 5 feet of snow, and play in it while it was snowing was unreal. I was in awe of the scenery and on our drive into town I kept looking out the window and saying, "I feel like I'm in the Alps. Is this what Switzerland looks like? Doesn't it feel like we're on the Matterhorn?" (I love that I can find a Disneyland reference to almost anything) By the time we left it was clear blue skies and the sun was shining. It was such a beautiful contrast to the bright white snow. It only took about an hour drive until we were in 65 degree weather once again.
I have to admit, I kind of liked lounging around by the fire while watching the snow come down outside, and wearing flannels and snow boots and not wearing any makeup all weekend. I think deep down there is a mountain girl inside of me. Hopefully it will not take another 20 years before I get to play around in it again.

12 comments :

  1. Wow, Im glad you survived! It HAS been crazy weather here in So Cal, so i cant imagine how crazy it must have been in Big Bear! Cute pic of you (and your mom?)! - XOXO, Natalya of Wear Necessities

    ReplyDelete
  2. you got some great pictures! it looks amazing you guys couldnt have picked a better weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are absolutely gorgeous and I am SO glad you saw so much snow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful and CRAZY! Growing up my family would go to Big Bear for Christmas, a ton of us would stay in these huge cabins, this these pics totally brought back tons of memories! Thank you for sharing them!! I hope you had an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. holy moly, makin me homesick for the rockies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those icicles are ridiculous! Glad you got to experience being snowed in :) Fun, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh goodness, these pictures are awesome! i go to school at cal state san bernardino, and it was crazy down in the foothills with all the hail, wind, and flooded streets. playing in the snow sounds so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! That is so much snow, and the photos are gorgeous! Perfect for your first time in snow! I've been 23 years in snow.. I'm done with it, haha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went the week before and I wish I would have waited because of all this rain we've been having! maybe palm springs tram snow mountain is next on the list. I'd never seen snow either! sooo pretty, youre lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures! The best way to enjoy snow is the way you did - as a fun vacation, when you can sit by the fireplace and watch the snow fall, then drive a short distance and be back in warm weather. What a lovely place you went too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I LOVE Big Bear! I wish I had been able to make it there this winter. What an incredible experience! The Socal weather has been so crazy, but it looks like it made an AWESOME first trip to the snow!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...