Tuesday, November 2, 2010

October Products

I thought I'd highlight some of my favorite products for the month. Things that I'm loving, use on a daily basis, or would just highly recommend. I'm also including a list of the new products that I'm going to try out for the next month. Thoughts, comments, reviews, or suggestions are welcomed!

oct faves

1. Aveeno Ultra-Calming Cream Cleanser and moisturizer. I got this combo out of pure desperation. I had bought some Benzoyl peroxide in an attempt to clear up my breakouts. Rather than just dabbing it on the specific spots that needed it, I applied it rather generously around my face. Bad. Idea. My skin was so dry it started peeling and felt like it was burning anytime I tried to put makeup on. I couldn't even think of washing my face that had even the slightest hint of exfoliant without cringing. So that night I tried looking for the creamiest, most moisturizing cleanser. That's when I came across these. Ultra-calming, moisturizing AND cream all on the container? It sounded like a dream in a bottle for my tortured skin. It really did help. and I've continued using it at night since then and I love it, especially the moisturizer. It makes my skin dewy and fresh-looking. I'd highly recommend both of these, especially if you have sensitive skin.

2. My "Coffee in New York" palette from the Color Play from Sephora Palette. I have to say that I love all 5 of the individual palettes from this collection, and I love it even more that it comes with a traveling compact so you can just pop out whichever palette you want to take with you. These neutral colors of browns have been my best friend this month. This is the only eye makeup I took with me to my sister's house a couple weeks ago. I used it as eyeshadow, eyeliner and eyebrow filler. It even comes with a nice peachy blush, too.

3. Pond's Evening Soothe makeup removing wipes. My sister got me hooked on these. I normally just take off my makeup with some cheapy wipes, but these ones are 100x's more fantastic. First of all, they are textured wipes, so it exfoliates your skin while you remove your makeup, and secondly they smell HEAVENLY. They have chamomile and white tea in them and it's the most relaxing scent to smell when you're taking your makeup off for the night and climbing into bed. They're my new favorite.

4. I've been going back and forth between Oyster Girl MAC lipglass and Revlon Super Lustrous Lipgloss in Lilac Pastelle. I don't know what to say about them other then they're both really light and super pretty... and they look great over MAC lipstick in Creme De Nude and Myth aaaand I'm obsessed.

So those are my stand-out items for October. and with impeccable timing, my package from Sephora arrived on my doorstep this morning. So I'll be trying out a few new things in November:

nov products


1. Bare Minerals starter kit. I've wanted to try Bare Minerals for awhile now. I've heard really good things about it, and I thought maybe giving my skin a break from heavy liquid foundations might do it some good.

2. Laura Mercier Mineral Powder. I also got some mineral powder from Laura Mercier since I couldn't decide which mineral powder to try, and I've heard good things about both. I thought I'd give myself some options to see which I like better.

3. Sugar Lip Polish. I have chronically chapped lips. It's awful. Any sort of lip product dries my lips out and leaves them either filmy or flaky. I just can't win. I thought maybe if I start using a sugar polish on them, it will leave them smooth and flake-free. We shall see.

4. Benefit Boi-ing concealer. As you may or may not know, I'm on a continuous search for the World's Greatest Concealer. I remember getting Boi-ing as a duo with Eye Bright. The Boi-ing side is completely scraped out gone; so obviously I really liked it. I decided to get it in a regular size and try it again.

So those are some of the products I'm trying out for November. I'll keep you updated and let you know how they work out. Have any of you tried these products? What are your thoughts?

13 comments :

  1. I use Laura Mercier's mineral powder and I think it is great!! Hope you like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun, I love products!
    I hope you like the minerals, I got the kit a few years ago and never went back. I just got their limited edition gold-infused mineral veil and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. save some $$ and return the Sugar Lip Polish....not worth the money at all! When I was taking Accutane my lips were SO chapped and peeling non stop....the best way to fix them is to mix honey and sugar and rub that on and then use Aquaphor. Also, you can get a baby toothbrush which are SUPER soft and use that to exfoliate peeling lips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meghan: That gold-infused mineral veil sounds amazing! I'm glad to hear good things about it, it's making me excited to try it.

    Carlie: ah! Thanks so much for telling me this! I think I might return it now. What is Aquaphor?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use the Ponds morning cloths and they are equally awesome. They smell great (but totally different than the night cloths) and I can't imagine going back to my world before I found these haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.drugstore.com/aquaphor-aquaphor-baby-to-go-dual-pack/qxp231489?fromsrch=Aquaphor

    it works wonders on dry skin.....I put it on Luka's hands and feet when he was a newborn because he was all peely because he cooked too long.....haha. I also noticed that they make an actual lip product too but I have never tired that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aquaphor is amazing! I use it everywhere and it saves my hands during the harsh winters! I liked the BE foundation a lot, especially if you're just looking for sheer to medium coverage. If you're looking for heavy coverage, I'd recommend layering a concealer underneath, but it wears beautifully and looks awesome! It's not even comparable with foundation in terms of how well it sits on your skin, or rather, blends into it.
    If you're looking for a pigmented concealer, I really like MAC's concealers, the ones in the tube are more moisturizing and the potted ones are heavier coverage - but they all have cream bases and smooth on very easily.

    I love the Aveeno products so happy you found them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, am on a quest for the perfect concealer. As of now, my winner is Dior's Skin Perfecting Hydrating Concealer.
    It has great coverage, stays on all day, and never looks cakey.
    Thanks for all the product info!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i actually just ordered the BE starter kit right before i read this post. my aunt has been raving about it for years. really excited to get to try it! i may have to try the wipes too. ive been spending a fortune on clinique make up removers. they work well, but they dont last very long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been using bare mineral for a couple of years and I love it. Cover great (without the heavy mask effect), it's not making my skin break out. Just love it.

    I also love the sugar lips balm. I have both the original and the colored one and can't live witout them. My lips are dry so the colored one is a good aalternative to regular lipstick.

    www.sweetmarieeve.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! Another good concealer, if you have oilier skin or if you wear sunscreen is Maybelline's Matte Mousse. I love it and it settles very matte - combined with my BE, gives me a great full coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know this is a little late, but benzoyl peroxide is actually a preventitive agent and should be used all over the skin. Once you have a break out it doesn't do much good. If you can wait it out for a week or two for your skin to get used to it it's worth it. Also make sure you're only using 2.5% as it's the gentlest. Neutrogina makes a nice one. I also recommend read Breaking Out: A Woman's Guide to Dealing With Acne at Any Age by Lydia Preston. It changed my life and you can get it on amazon for less than 5 dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You were on the right track with the benzol peroxide! BUT correct that it can really dry out the skin. I've had problem skin since high school (I'm 29 now!!) and JUST got my acne under control (like, near flawless skin). I started using my 5% "spot treatment" (spot treatment is a total myth like the previous reader), all over my face. I use an equal amount of 5% peroxide and lotion (I use tea tree skin clearing lotion from Body Shop). I just squeeze a little of both on my finger and blend all over. I do this morning and night. Again: less than a dime size of both peroxide and lotion morning and night.

    I have fairly resilient/oily skin, so the 5% works well for my all over my face (as well as the lotion) and I haven't had flaking/drying since the first couple days I used it. Your skin WILL adjust though, so if you have some drying the first few days (using along with the lotion, and NOT slathering on the peroxide) it will calm down. But stick with it and I think you'll be amazed! I barely get one or two zits a month now, and that's because it's that time of the month, hormones, etc.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...