Saturday, June 13, 2009

New Vest and Bag

New Vest!

New Vest!

(shirt [actually a dress]: American Apparel, Jeans: Target, Vest: Ruche, Shoes: Steve Madden)


After looking around the Ruche website the other day, I spotted this vest and decided I had to have it. I don't have many vests (read: one) and I'm not sure why. Maybe because for awhile I saw e v e r y b o d y wearing them and I was kind of 'eh' about it. But seeing this vest, I could come up with at least 5 different outfits I could wear it with. I love the creamy natural color, it makes it look not so heavy, and more summery. I'm definitely happy with my purchase!



Also! I finished up some projects I was working on, finally! I've been crocheting together reusable bags made from "plarn" which is plastic bags that are cut up and made into a yarn. So instead of throwing the bags away (we've all heard of the plastic bags floating around the Pacific Ocean the size of the United States) you can make them into a bag you can use over and over! I first saw one of these when a girl came into my work with one and told me her bag was made from Target bags. I was in complete awe, and needed to have one. So I looked up the pattern online and made one from all Albertson's bags and one from all Target bags.

plastic bag

plastic bag

They're actually quite sturdy, and fit a lot. You can find the pattern for this as well as the directions on how to make plarn at Myrecycledbags.com Hopefully now these will cut down my plastic bag consumption low enough that I won't have to make more. Little steps, right?

10 comments :

  1. I am going to make a plastic bag bag... very good idea and way to be frugal! ;) What's up with all the gloomy weather out there?? You need to head on out to the motherland! Plenty of sunshine in Texas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have to admit the bags are very cute! if only i remembered how to crochet. :/ tell melissa to pipe it dow with all of her sunshine! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my word..why have i never vistited ruche before? this is bad. this is very bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica: I know, seriously. I can't wait for all this overcast weather to go away. I still have all those Vons bags I took from your house, haha... so I'll start making one for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica....Isn't Ruche awesome! I just went there for the first time when I saw it on Emily's last blog. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those bags! How eco-chic is that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that vest! I like that it's a bit longer than most tend to be. It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute vest! And can't believe those bags are made from plastic bags! That is awesome. Way to go for saving the planet. I alwyas make sure I have my linen grocery bags. Plastic bags are such a waste!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the plastic bag bags. I like how you used all one brand/color. so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. those bags are really awesome, thanks for the link i'll have to check it out and make one
    !
    Check out my post about crocheting flowers out of plastic bags http://www.outoforderdesign.com/2009/12/diy-crochet-flowers.html
    I made some huge ones out of black plastic bags from my work and they look so cool
    :]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...